PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 744 Eng Fail and Vmcg
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2021, 05:24
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does any manufacturer recommend ‘feet up’ for take off? I’ve flown five different jet liners from three major manufacturers and I can’t recall it? Or is this just a ‘bright idea’?
4468 and stilton
I have also flown five airliners and three of them wide bodies including 747 but that doesn't mean anything. Everyone has his comfort blanket. FAA document Pilot Guide to Take off Safety in para 3.2.6.5 says the following:
"The pilot’s foot position relative to the rudder pedal can also have an effect on the achievement off full brake pressure. It was noted during a study conducted by the Training Aid Working Group that foot position during the takeoff roll tends to be an individual preference. Some pilots prefer to have their feet "up on the pedals” to be ready to apply full brakes if required. Pilots who prefer this technique also noted that their toes are“curled back” to avoid unwanted brake applications when applying rudder. The other technique is to rest the heels on the floor during the takeoff roll, and then raise them to be on the pedal to apply full braking. No problems were noted with either technique."
on a slippery runway in 747 classic where nose wheel is not connected to the rudder if outer engine fails you cannot stop excursion unless rudder and differential braking is simultaneously applied. If you can do it with feet on ground then good for you.
as far as landing is concerned if you are an Airbus pilot then listen to Airbus Win APPROACH AND LANDING PROCEDURES AND TRAINING RECOMMENDATIONS. At about 7:47 he categorically stated "steer with heels and brake with toe."