PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue flying high
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 15:00
Wirraway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAP

I'm like a proud father: Virgin boss
December 9, 2003

Virgin Blue chief executive Brett Godfrey said he felt like a proud father who's daughter's just made her social debut.

And what a glittering debut.

With champagne corks popping, more than 100 million shares were traded on Monday as Virgin Blue listed on the stock market, with the value of the discount carrier rising from $2.3 billion to $2.45 billion.

Mr Godfrey said when the airline was launched three years ago it was like seeing the birth of his child and with the float completed he now wanted to see her grow up.

"It's like we're at the debutant ball today," he said.

"We're passing our daughter out into the real world.

"The only problem is that she's passing through 16 pairs of hands and shareholders but I'll still look after her and she'll stay with us for a long, long time."

It was a day when the staid corporate world of high finance gave way to the funsters of Virgin Blue.

Mr Godfrey, Virgin group founder Sir Richard Branson and other staff started the day in the Australian Stick Exchange (ASX) in Sydney.

The ASX was decked out like Virgin Blue's own blue room with massage tables complete with six airline hostesses with red floaties in attendance.

After the shares debuted at $2.40, well above the issue price of $2.25, and the media obligations were out of the way, the Virgin Blue party flew up to Brisbane.

On the way passengers were served drinks by Sir Richard and Mr Godfrey before they arrived at the ASX in Brisbane to see the share price settle at $2.43 at the close of trade.

Mr Godfrey said Virgin Blue now had more Australian shareholders in terms of volume and percentage than Qantas.

"We have become more Australian than (the) so-called Australian carrier and I think that's a tremendous result," he said.

"I think it's been a great day for the Australian public."

©2003 AAP

===========================================