PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 6th Jan 2021, 12:46
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pineteam
Direct law in the real aircraft does happen. Even so it's a rare event. Happens in my outfit in 2017. I talked about it to the captain who had the chance to fly direct law on that occasion. They had dual IR fault. He said direct law is a lot easier to handle in the real aircraft than the sim. Not a surprise here. Direct law in the sim is way too sensitive. I quite enjoy it tho.
Direct law experience is very very rare like winning a lottery. How it feels in real aircraft only those winners know. But other mortals can only say It feels different from normal law. It may be because since you directly move the surfaces unrelated to g, the stick movements to get a certain pitch change are different than what we are used to in normal law. Also because now it's like conventional aircraft that need trimming but without the aerodynamic feel. Direct law actually is only a flare mode just to give conventional handling during flare and touchdown and not meant for large manoevering because it always has gear down. So there's nothing much to practice except trimming.