PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Supporting your back in the cockpit seat
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2021, 18:16
Uplinker

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
I used to have a lot of problems with my back, including a prolapsed disc.

I wanted surgery to sort this out but that was not deemed suitable for whatever reason.

For the last year or two I have done the following exercises:-

Lie on the floor on your back with your legs stretched out. Pull your left knee up and pull it right into your chest with your hands. Hold for a few seconds. Return that leg straight on the floor and do the same with the other leg. Repeat this 5 times for each leg: left, right, left, right etc.

Next, still lying down; pull both knees upright so your feet are touching your bum and your legs are 90° to your body. Then keeping your knees together, and your shoulders flat on the floor; twist both legs to the left so your knee touches the floor. Hold for a few seconds. Return your knees upright and twist in the other direction to touch your knee to the floor. Repeat this 5 times for each direction; left, right, left right etc.

I was sceptical and was convinced that I needed surgery. However, since doing these exercises my back has been really good for the last couple of years, (and I fly long-haul). I now do 3 repeats instead of 5, and I do them every weekday, not at weekends.