PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 744 Eng Fail and Vmcg
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2021, 16:14
twothree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recollections of the B744.

One of the company's 744s at a slowish speed (well below 80kts), but at max power, rapidly lost the power of one of the outboards. As the aircraft swung violently into the dead engine, the crew in quicktime idled the throttles, stood on the brakes and pushed hard on the nose wheel steering in the opposite direction. Stopped 3 feet from the grass only because of the instant response from the crew.
So, until 80kts when the rudder has some control over direction, we kept a slight nose down pressure on the stick to keep the nose wheel reasonably firm on the ground, and of course, if required a little into-wind aileron.
Personal technique: Most of my experience with the 744 was either long haul or ultra long haul, therefore trundling down the runway, with the speed increasing towards V1, thoughts of abort are always present. However, as the speed approaches V1 (eventually), about 5kts prior, I used to uncurl my fingers slowly from around the throttles and move my thumb away from the disconnect. Hand still in contact with the top of the throttles until V1, them fully smoothly remove. WE GO FLY?? Not quite yet, as a few more long seconds are required until rotate, and then select the attitude, and hopefully claw into the lower atmosphere!!