PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steepest, shortest, highest, most bent, overgrown airstrip you’ve ever seen.
Old 5th Jan 2021, 08:44
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts
Not necessarily committed to getting airborne, but you're leaving the runway one way or another!
In quite a few examples the end of the runway dropped off as a fairly steep cliff into the Valley below. Which at a strip such as Kamulai was about 1500' down.

There have been cases of A/C falling off the end of the strip with the Pilot poling foward to dive down a bit to gain sufficient airspeed! Yelling "Banzai!!" as one did so had been known to occur!

Not saying if I ever did it M'self!

there is a really good channel - Missionary Bush Pilot.
I was once briefly based in Karema, flying a 300hp BN2 which was then owned by the Kerema Catholic Diocese and my then employer Simbu Aviation had been asked to supply a Pilot. I had previously lost an engine due to an oil seal in the CSU letting go, and after repairs were made, was due to take a few passengers up to one of the missions north of Kerema.

One of my Passengers, a Catholic Brother, had a Video Camera and took some footage of the flight. Made for interesting viewing, as only five miutes into the flight I had to shut down the engine again and bring the Bongo Van back to Kerema on one engine.

The footage, complete with sound clearly showed me shutting down the right hand engine, returning to Kerema and completing the pre landing checks, with not a little bad language associated!

The Brother concerned was going to make me a copy of the video but I never got back to Kerema to get it. The Mission could not afford a replacement engine and the A/C was eventually sold.

Last edited by Pinky the pilot; 6th Jan 2021 at 08:44.