PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the best route to be a commercial airline pilot?
Old 9th Dec 2003, 08:47
winch launch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey

First I should say that the davices from chuff and tailscrap are very good. And it is true that u don t really need a degree to become a pilot. BUT, having a degree has several advantages. First, u ll show that u have other skills, that could be usefull for an airline pilot. Doing computer programing probably devellops your skills, in analysis as well as others (get good informations on what does the job of a pilot really consists of, and try to relate it to your course, to sell yourself at the interview). The other thing with a degree, is that you will have some skills, that might allow you to take further responsabilities in the compagny u work in. I know that at air france for example, there are several guys that did some business degrees, and that have other tasks to do aside of being a pilot(in managment or something). It is both interesting, and gets u money ( and the most important, u still get to fly!). I know what u r enduring right now. I am doing an aero engineering degree, and it s boring, and too hard. I thought about stoping so many times because i don t wanna do anything else than flying, but it is an advantage. Every pilots i talked to, and i even talked to a BA recruitment guy, all told me that a degree is a very good advantage. ALso, jamo, I am thinking about doing a year in the industry. Try to do it in the aero industry ( airline compagnies if poss) and use the money u get to start flying. They wanna see that you put a lot of effort in becoming a pilot, and that you work as much as u can to fly.
you guys might also be interested in reading this survey:
http://www.gapan.org/career/survey.htm.
Finally, i think a pilot degree course could be good. But be very carefull on studying what qualifications it will give you.
Don t missunderstand me, a degree doesn t mean u ll be a good pilot, but recruitment might see things they like about u that u aquired thanx to your degree.
Sorry for the long message, and for the bad english(i am not a native speaker). And good luck to u guys.
Winch