PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The sounds of silence............Nov 27th
Old 9th Dec 2003, 08:26
Dehavillanddriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Snarek

A couple of points if I may.

1. It isn't a union issue - I made up my mind about this subject all by myself without union influence - and i reckon that it is dangerous.

2. You mention radar - how would this have played out in non radar E - where the controller couldn't see the vfr aeroplane.

3. without mode c the TCAS has no idea what level the traffic is at - do you expect crews to "fill the airwaves" querying all non mode c aircraft? the offending aeroplane could be 10000 ft below - it sort of defeats the purpose of not talking doesn't it?

4. if you don't expect crews to call non mode c aircraft do you expect TCAS equipped aircraft to divert to miss?

5. I asked on another thread - what is a reasonable distance to miss by? should we be expecting to hear from VFR aeroplane if they expect to miss us by a mile or so or by 3-400 ft? what is the standard that we apply here? if there is no standard how can we as ifr jet drivers expect to know when vfr drivers are going to tell us about themselves - on the appropriate frequency...

it isn't union motivated, quite the contrary, the unions are actually doing what we tell them to do in this instance, which is a nice change....

This airspace is unsafe, and whilst it may not be proven this week or next it WILL be proven, and the people who forced this upon us against our advice and wishes WILL be brought to account.