PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2021, 19:47
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
601 you are, of course technically correct. I did consider writing ‘Vr’ instead of ‘V1’ but then I thought some smartarse would tell me that the usual practice is to remove hand from throttles at V1.
The problem arises because pilots who have not done simulator but only trained in the aircraft at light weights often think that it is flyable after an engine failure at 94-95 knots, which is the Beech quoted speed, depending on flap. Hence the perception that it is a V1. 95 knots is approximately 5 knots below Vs at gross weight flap zero, so by any measure it can’t be a Vr. And it’s not a Takeoff Safety Speed either. Whoever certified the Beech King Air 200 should have put a big disclaimer at the front of the Flight Manual section on takeoff performance.
Elsewhere on Pprune there has been considerable discussion on this, with certain aces claiming a failure at 95 knots can be taken into the air.
In the hands of a truly expert pilot, current in simulator, it probably can, though 1st & 2nd segment climb can not be achieved without some fudging, ie flying in ground effect for a while.