PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 744 Eng Fail and Vmcg
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 10:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with safetypee:
Alway use the procedures in the manufacturers FCOM.
Do not invent new techniques just to fly the simulator; simulators are good, but they are not the real aircraft.
Inventing novel new techniques because you ‘know better’ than the manufacturer/operator/regulator leaves you very vulnerable, and not just in a legal sense.

For an engine failure after V1, the appropriate amount of rudder must be used to keep the aircraft ‘straight’ as the take off continues. If full rudder is insufficient to achieve that, how much should we then push the yoke forward? A bit? A lot? Full forward? Just before hauling the yoke all the way back to rotate? Sounds challenging to me.

That’s before we even consider the fact that we are going to be rolling down the runway at speeds well in excess of 100mph. We then load up two inflatable rubber tyres with a number of tonnes of aircraft mass and aerodynamic loading whilst they are not facing in the direction of travel?

Whilst this may not be modelled correctly in any simulator, (why on earth would it be?) I can reasonably imagine a likely outcome of the coefficient of friction in a ‘real world’ event could easily be two burst nosewheel tyres, before any noticeable turning moment occurs. Then what?

I’d prefer to be taught such novel techniques only after a test pilot (preferably the manufacturer’s!) has proved it’s a good idea. Rather than just because some bright spark thought it was a wizard wheeze!