PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steepest, shortest, highest, most bent, overgrown airstrip you’ve ever seen.
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 02:10
Flingwing47

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks Willy,
yep that's much better now - sadly it was before video cameras :/
we were hired by MAF and went to about a dozen strips stretching east and south of Nalca.
They were still building the settlements - choppers would fly US volunteers in to form the strips using hydraulic pressure - long pipes bringing in high pressure water from above the strip to literally carve them out.
Then C206/C207 or RAM Grand Commanders brought in portable sawmills and carpenters to make the fabulous homes for the missionaries - designs were copies of California beach homes. Spectacular. (the Commanders had reinforced fuselage bottom skins to allow for quick gear retraction on takeoff
There was one strip eastern end of the range (can't remember the name) - I swear it felt like a constant 25% but probably less than 20 - watching a 206 land from inside the house the strip seemed to go diagonally across the window.
Happy landings Willy, I really enjoyed my time there - and as you may know they bought a Nomad - I did the endorsement/rating for the MAF pilots.
Sad to hear of the tragedy some time after I left.