PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hornbeam Report
Thread: Hornbeam Report
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2021, 22:59
tramontana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
As a matter of interest can anyone tell me if the above system or one like it still exisits, and whether the original method of reporting remains (ie via the telephone operator?)

As an offshore sailor it would be nice to know how, if one was ever required.
I was recruited into the Hornbeam system as I was in the M.N. and travelled the World on a Tramp Ship, this meant that I was able to Visit Ports of the Eastern Bloc and Russia where of course Grey Funnel Vessels were not allowed to visit at that time, I also still have my card and ‘Spotters’ guide book (how much did the other one go for?) both the card and ‘Spotters’ guide are now out of date of course. The Pit no longer exists and of course the Eastern Bloc Merchant and Fishing Fleet no longer belong to the Soviet Navy “apparently” but I believe they are run by Putins friends. Is there still an Intelligence Collecting System still in place? I would have thought so but mainly done by Satellites rather than the Shackletons of No 8 Sq in the NATO area as it was when I was floating around the World and giving information.As to the value of the information collected by Hornbeam members? You would have to be in the know with the the bigger picture to evaluate that but I am sure it must have been of some use because as Civilians we could go where members of the Armed Forces could not.