PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New GA/Gliding Airfield in the Bicester Area?
Old 2nd Jan 2021, 12:27
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
It's not just the airfield but the whole of the 'camp' area to the south just outside Wendover too; this would be much more attractive to developers as the infrastructure ie sewers, water, electricity supplies already exists and a new estate would abut the area where Halton Hospital used to stand and which has already been built on.
Aylesbury Vale District Council (last I heard) had no plans for the airfield and it would need a lot of work to clear all the metalwork from the subsurface of the airfield to facilitate housebuilding; there's not only a PSP 'runway' parallel to the southern boundary but the wartime grass strips were re-inforced with steel rod tracking which as far as I know is still there; back in the '60s when I was a staff cadet with 613GS, we often turned up on a saturday to find an area of 'bad ground' markers cordoned off and closer inspection would reveal a piece of steel rod about half in inch in diameter sticking out of the ground.
The airfield also gets more than a shade wet at times.....laying infrastructure wouldn't be a problem with today's construction techniques.....and then there's a certain very large building with gold leaf on the ceiling just waiting to be upgraded to a luxury spa retreat.