PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple engine failures
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 04:25
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue Eagle, GTT, FFF,
It appears that there is some agreement amongst us about the need for two engine out training, but noting the relatively low level of occurrence of such events. However I sense that there is some misplaced over-concern of the difficulty in handling the aircraft.

Ignoring the symmetric two-out scenario, then the asymmetric flight case is still relatively simple. Use the controls appropriately (usually dominated by rudder), maintain the required speed (noting that Vmca2 is likely to be well obove V2), and abide by system or configuration restrictions due to systems loss or degrated performance. There may be a critical period of risk during take off where airspeed is less than Vmca, but this is back to probabilities again.

I indicated earlier and now I strongly suggest that the training for the ‘two out’ scenarios be focused on the circumstances and consequences of the failure and not the flying. In my experience it has been the difficulties surrounding the failures that are far more demanding than the flight handling of the aircraft.

In one example that I am familiar with, an uncontained failure on a four jet (weak design and poor maintenance) resulted in two adjacent engines stopping, leaving a third without indication of N1, TGT, or N2 (T4 blade through cables in fuselage). There was minimum hydraulic power, no flap, no aileron trim (more blade damage), and a ‘small fire in the cabin’ (hot blade in cabin). Also slow pressurization leak, a partial electrical failure, and a fuel leak due a blade though the wing main spar!

The crew was faced with such an array of multiple warnings and alerts that little else other than three engine failures could be deduced; and there was no checklist for that. The Captain elected for a landing back at base (100 nm), but the co-captain (more experienced) suggested an immediate landing at an airfield 50-60 nm away. The crew assessed the flying qualities of the aircraft and the systems that remained operational; they basically built up a picture of the aircraft they were flying. The Cabin crew were politely told ‘not now dear, you fix the fire’. From the flapless, no anti skid, no airbrake, twin engine asymmetric landing everyone walked away from the aircraft, albeit though the grass.

Thus the point I make is not to get too hung up on flight handling with two engines out, but use a training scenario for thinking and planning … a CRM exercise. Also do not over focus on one event, it is most unlikely that there will be a similar one; stick to the basics … airmanship and CRM