PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2021, 16:28
Thirsty

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts
Spent many years as a regular SLF. With Ansett Golden Wings you got preferential regular seating choice. Got used to sitting in the RHS just fore of the wing as they told me this was the where there was least amount of movement in turbulence - they'd pass you a large glass of cold orange juice just as you got seated - always appreciated.

First flight on an Airbus, and flying Sydney Canberra one weekday afternoon. Looked out the window at about 200' AGL and yes we were between the hills with a bit of a buffeting side wind, coming in a bit fast. Went back to glance at the sports page of the afternoon paper, and happened to glance out at about 5 feet, and notice a pale green webbing showing where the engine previously was, with the top part missing! Careful tightening of the seat belt and quietly assumed the brace position discreetly. Several Hail Mary's and we touched down, rather hard as the flight was rather full.

The way it was later explained to me, the reverse thrust cover recedes back from the engine under the wing where I couldn't see it, and the pale green webbing was actually part of the bracing, but nobody had told me that and I certainly convinced myself that the engine was falling apart in this new aircraft as we touched down, only to see the cover slowly slide back into place as we taxied to the terminal.

Change of underpants when I got to the motel!

Last flight Sydney to Canberra on a Sunday evening was the best. Sometimes you were the only passenger so you got the red carpet treatment. One hostess was an accountant in a previous life, and we finished my tax return before landing, bank statements, receipts and papers spread across rows of seats and others helping sort them. Best tax refund ever!

Last edited by Thirsty; 3rd Jan 2021 at 12:34.