PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2021, 00:52
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
The friction would have to be very loose for the lever to run back as quickly as it did in the video. Also the horn would be hard to ignore. Not saying impossible, merely improbable given the crash evidence of the mis set trim. In the very short time he was airborne it is doubtful that full rudder trim could have been wound on - it is fairly slow. Again, not impossible but I believe improbable given that he was yelling out "Mayday" repeatedly at the same time.
I have flown several scenarios in the King Air sim on more than one occasion, including power lever cut back at rotate, engine failure with no auto-feather, FCU over-torque, rudder boost switched off with engine failure, and spurious rudder boost. Knowing what was coming, all were flyable, though the engine failure with no auto-feather took some practice to make it climb. None of the events caused loss of directional control and none required both hands on the control wheel.
I don't recall trying the full rudder trim scenario (but may have; simply don't remember?), but those who have report it gets very ugly as speed increases toward 'blue line'.
However, the old King Air simulator in Melbourne is only a level B, so the fidelity may not be a true reflection of how the real aeroplane would handle in those various situations.
Those who have flown the level D simulator may be able to offer more comment.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 1st Jan 2021 at 01:03.