PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG location effect on asymmetric yaw
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2020, 19:00
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
The tyre/surface coefficient won't change appreciably, but the ability to resist yaw is coefficient times NW reaction

OG, wonderful to see you in the thread, good sir, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. I should have been a little more expansive in my comment to add clarity, I guess - concur with your thoughts .. and the reason for NWS requirements for Vmcg tests, of course.

How will CG affect asymmetric yaw?

The actual question and its inferences have changed, somewhat, the thoughts of the original post. The question now doesn't appear to be trying to exclude considerations of rudder forces and appears to be considering the yaw magnitude rather than the initial yawing moment ? I suspect damping is not a consideration in respect to the question's detail as we don't consider any delay in rudder application in the event of a failure, ie the expectation is that pilot rudder response with be instinctive and without any certification driven delay. Further, as you observe, unless the question were to quarantine consideration to aircraft so equipped, the majority of Types don't have any YD kit in their toolbox.

With knowledge of the specific question, I would now include consideration of pilot rudder input and we can discard (a) and (b) without too much head scratching. (c), I suggest, was relevant to your original question description but, with consideration of rudder input now can be discarded. That leaves (d) and it looks to be a reasonable option to me.

I will be interested in reading, and certainly will defer to, safetypee's observations. For those who don't know who he and OG might be, they both are extremely well-placed to be heard on this sort of question, the former especially from the practical, and the latter from the theoretical, sides of the house.