PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2020, 17:17
sbetts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer to the question depends on the experience you had, if you spent your life savings learning to fly, then ended up never getting a job - you're gonna say no.
Back in 1999, I sold my house, quit my job and went off to learn to fly, I was truly passionate about it, I'd loved everything aviation since I was a nipper - then right in the middle of my training 9/11 happened, totally screwed my (and many of my mates) plans. I stuck with it for 5 years, instructed, did air taxi, anything I could get - then one day I thought what the hell am I doing, I'm working my nuts off for less money than I was getting when I was 17 years old! and I quit there and then. That was the best decision I ever made, fortunately I had an I.T career I could sort of fall back on, I was well out of date but paid for some courses, got a job within a year. I love what I do now, I get paid well, get shares in the company, as much training as I need, 32 days holiday, flexible hours, bonus, paid overtime, home by 17:00 every day. And Im treated with respect, something that NEVER happened to me when I was flying.
Would I do the flying again given a chance - no ******* way.
But everyone has a different story, if its your dream you have to try, and who knows - it may work out.

Good luck to everyone & Happy New Year!

Last edited by sbetts; 31st Dec 2020 at 17:34.