PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2020, 22:12
Grogmonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I will bite. The trim system is cable operated. During the breakup the right trim cable is severed. The left trim cable remains attached but stretched tight by the breakup sequence imitating that there is left trim required thus rotating the left trim actuator to its maximum before it to severs. This action would have turned the cockpit knob full left and caused full left rudder in an instant. Much like when a marlin hits the bait on a fishing rod and you see the reel spinning at great speed against the clutch brake. Another way to visualise this is to imagine you could insert your hand into the aircraft fuselage at mid point and grab the left trim cable at mid point between the cockpit and the tail and give it a massive tug. The result would be the same.

I have personally experienced PLM in a King Air and I have seen it happen to other pilots. I have also simulated the Essendon scenario in the simulator and even though I knew what was coming ended up over the top of the same building. The ATSB have made a massive mistake which in their defence I can understand because they don't have experience on the type. I stick to my comments in my previous post.

Groggy