PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2020, 06:04
Connedrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grogmonster
I will repeat my prior assertion that the rudder trim was displaced during the accident breakup sequence. Let me ask you all to consider the significant climb rate of a King Air with two engines operating and the gear remaining down. Now you have that picture in your head consider the photographic evidence showing the actual, much reduced, climb rate of the accident aircraft. There is no doubt in my mind that this was power lever migration and unfortunately it wasn't recognised by the pilot flying. It is a travesty that the ATSB have missed a golden opportunity to educate the King Air pilot community to a latent killer.

Groggy
please tell me how the trim was extended during the accident ?

the rudder trim control surface was still attached to the Trim actulator.

trim required rotary motion to turn into linear. Linear cannot be turned into rotational see above statement.

accident site shows zero reason that any other force can move the trim position

im lead to believe that the forward trim position wheel was in the position of the trim surface position.

there is no electrical motors attached to this trim system so no way for any trim runaway.

any break in the trim cable renders the system inoperative

hence at the accident site the rudder trim was in this position.

so please explain again how it is possible that the trim was in the position and cause by the accident.

most likely he hasn’t set the power lever friction was not set and it experienced roll back he thought he lost an engine place the trim into this position. Also I dare say he had the rudder boost selection to the off position.
if you could hold the rudder without rudder boost it would not be installed in the aircraft.