PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2020, 23:40
TechLad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wannabe pilot looking for advice

Hey folks, I was hoping I could get some general advice on Australian aviation training and careers, as I don't know anyone in the industry and I’m in quite a unique situation. I've used Google and this forum's Search feature, and haven't found anything that answers my questions; apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong place. I’ll try to keep it short, and not ask stupid questions. I can’t promise I’ll succeed!

My life situation:
I'm 44, living in Melbourne, and lucky enough to be retired. I have enough money to live out the rest of my natural life, and I can afford to fly decent hours privately (10+ per month). I finished work two years ago, and now finally have the means to follow my passion in aviation, and at age 44 I’m thinking I’m too young to stop working. I would love to start a new career as a pilot.

My aviation situation:
I studied aviation in my high school years as part of the Ansett Aviation Scholarship, but didn't have the money to do the last two years, which were in the cockpit and not theory. I started my Rec Pilot Certificate in early 2020, but had to stop due to COVID as well as a health issue, both of which are now resolved.

Q1.
I am leaning towards a job as a flight instructor. I understand it’s incredibly competitive, but I’m lucky enough that I can chip away at it for years until it’s a reality. I’ve met instructors in their 50s and 60s who only started in the last few years, which is what gave me this idea. Do I need a Commercial Pilot License to become an instructor? If not, what kind of quals do I need? What other piloting careers are there which might be achievable given my circumstances? I just want to fly…

Q2.
While I live in Melbourne, I am strongly considering the move to Hobart or NZ. However, I can’t seem to find many schools in these area? Am I blind/terrible at Googling?

Q3.
I don’t think you chaps can give school recommendations, (feel free to do so if you can!), but what’s the best way to find a school that is reputable and honest? I’ve heard horror stories, and considering I’m looking to spend over $70k plus the better part of two years to get my CPL, would like to do due diligence. Alas, there is no publicly available resource that I can find which shows how sound these businesses are, the rate at which they pass students, how they help place students into jobs, etc

Thanks for your time, and hope you all have a better 2021 than the year we’ve just had!