PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 29th Dec 2020, 05:14
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
About a decade ago, when I flew corporate, sat at the bar with a retired legacy US legacy carrier pilot. He had always been able to do long haul, but most not senior enough to be pilot flying. He estimated he had done around 2 landings per month in the last 20 years of flying part 121, so about 500 landings in that part of his career. I had just come of flying ACMI for a European regional, doing 10 days on 5 days off, 6 legs per day, and in 8 months had about 500 landings as PF that year. He also had 8000 hours "dozing for dollars" (sleeping in the crew rest quarters as PIC). While I was commuting from the us to the EU I definitely flew more miles as a passenger than as a pilot....
So how do they maintain their skill? Everyone has to manage within what is available. Long haul guys have to make their simulator sessions count because online situation is not going to change. The only advantage they have is they land at international airports which are generally not critical infrastructure wise. Also doing more manual landings is the corporate sector safer than airlines? What does the record suggest?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/work/1169517/executives-are-dying-in-private-planes-while-commercial-flights-have-never-been-safer/amp/