PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2020, 17:34
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I agree what you say is true, I suspect the changes won’t be as radical as they envisage. I think a lot of people have found working from home quite difficult, as it brings its own challenges which make the commute not as bad as once thought. Productivity at home is a lot less than in a workplace, and video calls are a pain and no substitute to meeting face to face. I also think the social aspect of being able to interact with colleagues in a workplace is much more appealing than working from home. I suspect the 9-5 will stay, but with agile working arrangements adopted, staff will be able to work designated days at home. This will help employers reduce their office space as desks can be shared. Domestic travel will return but frequencies might not recover to same levels. This is fine if a low cost operator comes along and does a morning and evening MAN rotation for example, rather than BEs 4/5 daily rotations of the past. Of course like a previous poster has said the runway Extension is absolutely key to facilitating survival going forward in these new times.