PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2020, 13:12
Vokes55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
70%. The more people who catch it the more people who die. Not rocket science is it.
Actually, 30 seconds of research into the basics of virology would tell you that as viruses become more transmissible, they become less virulent. So despite what Sky News will tell you, which I'm under no doubt you have had permanently on loop since February, not only does a virus becoming more transmissible not necessarily result in more people dying, it is a completely expected and normal development of a virus. Not rocket science is it.

I would also take any increasing death figures in this country with a pinch of salt, with the UK deciding to record deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive test. More people die in the Winter, always have and always will. So if a certain percentage of the population have COVID, and more people die in December than June, more people are going to be recorded as having died *from* COVID. I'm not saying the number of people dying from COVID hasn't increased, but the figures will certainly be inflated by the natural increase in deaths that happens at this time of year.

Originally Posted by ATNotts
If US holidaymakers are still travelling without restriction to Cancun, then to me going there from UK at the moment is doubly foolhardy, and that's before you even start on those asymptomatic carriers from UK.
Given that the number of positive cases per population is currently lower in the US than the UK and the majority of European countries, I don't understand the point of your post. If anything, that makes going to Mexico "safer" than staying in the UK

Last edited by Vokes55; 28th Dec 2020 at 13:34.