PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pension Annual Allowance... exceeded?!?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2020, 10:37
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Party Animal
Slight thread drift but Melchy has raised the question bubble - on the subject of tax; are we allowed to claim for mess bill standing charges on our annual tax returns? I have heard conflicting advice in the past. On a previous Sqn, one pilot claimed the tax man had explicitly stated he couldn’t whilst another pilot said the tax man told him he could! Having just returned from another 6 monther overseas, it felt a bit galling to have to pay £28 a month mess bill despite having warned out. Personally, I’ve never tried to claim for mess bills before but if anyone has anything to add?
I've heard similar conflicting things too, although I have never claimed it before. That said, I can see how you might structure an argument in favour of a claim - QRs requires, indeed orders, you to be a member of the Mess, therefore incurring charges. If you weren't employed by HM, you wouldn't be a Mess member and therefore you might argue that the costs arise purely in the course of your duties and are therefore purely a workplace expense. However, from what I can gather, HMRC have gone after people before on the grounds of dual use i.e. you rent a single bed flat for work in town, fine. You rent a 2 bed flat in town for work with the additional expectation of friends and family visiting, then it's dual use and therefore not applicable. You'd have to unravel that one and I don't know how you'd do it, especially if the Mess was your home full time. I claimed accommodation charges because I could show I was weekly commuting from a permenant home address, and was doing so purely for work purposes. Not sure how the Mess as a social institution would be viewed, even though we are directed to be members.

I guess you could claim it and see if they ask questions. The form now just has a box for business expenses without any room to explain, so you could just put it in and see what happens if you're feeling brave.