PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 27th Dec 2020, 03:27
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xulu

While most of us sympathize with your optimism and we all wish our colleagues back into their seats, let me quote you:

"With the country immunised, travel restrictions open, and the Expo starting - actually there might be some real demand to meet. Even if temporary."

You last three words nicely contain my fears.

All the money spent by the government(s) is basically upholding the existing structure (of civil aviation). Many were warning for a long time that it was blown up beyond sustainable size, the EK 380 fleet being the very symbol of it. We have now seen how vulnerable EK (especially its airborne staff) was with any disturbing factor, although Covid19 was admittedly an unexpectedly sizable one.

Your arguments for a speedy recovery might uphold, but if they lead to reinstalling almost everything that has been grounded and sacked, it would simply lead to a second wave, not of Covid, but of sackings, if the recovery effectively was only temporary due to i.e. Expo or a short burst of tantrum travel.

Our desire to get back to normal should not divert from our responsibility as professionals to assess the situation reasonably. There is a chance here and now to regrow the industry in a more sustainable way and not to make the same mistakes of folie de grandeur.

My dislike of the 380 is well known, i exaggerated it voluptuously because it drew so much funny and stubborn reactions. However, as i mentioned before, the 380 symbolizes perfectly what should be avoided this time: Build up a shiny, spectacular structure that is only profitable below the line when at full speed and occupation.

Because we've witnessed it: WE are and will be paying the price for such extravagance.