PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 27th Dec 2020, 00:59
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Many thousands of years ago airline pilots in the UK renewed their instrument ratings (in the sim) under these conditions:

-raw data
-no autopilot
-no autothrottle
-no FMC
-IMC icing conditions
-all engines operating
-flight director available (PF asking PM to make the appropriate selections)
\

A puzzling feature of the above list is "flight director available." Yet the first item is "Raw data." A contradictory statement I would have thought?

The following statement is from an earlier Pprune contributor. I don't know the date of the original post or even which forum or the author, but in my book it should be kept in every pilots navigation bag and shoved in the face of any pilot (first officer or captain) that baulks at a reasonable request to switch off the flight director and practice hand flying.

(Quote):

"Raw data as a competence demonstration is intended to check a fundamental ability to fly some procedure at the lowest level of instrument display required to be provided in the aircraft.
Thus, no flight suggester, no thrust management slave, no 'noughts and ones' translating input data and no stress-relieving flight control manipulator. Just that most elusive of skills, manual flight on basic instruments." (Unquote)

Perhaps the operative words being "a fundamental ability to fly."