PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2020, 10:41
okipoki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was off loading pax bags from the belly pod of Cessna Caravan in Medan, Indonesia after bringing the members of NGO and Red Cross/ Red Crescent from Banda Ache. Bell 412 chartered by Singapore Red Cross was taxiing right behind of us over the grass field for departure, not over the taxiway. Maybe it was not unusual procedure in Medan shortly after the Boxing Day Tsunami. Anyhow, as I continued to help to get their bags, I saw the twin turbine engine helicopter slowing nearing to the ground in my peripheral vision and the clouds of dust quickly started thickening and covering the area, the shape of B412 was almost blurred. It came to me so suddenly that I didn't even have time to get scared but the image of sharp edged pieces of the broken chopper blades shooting toward us in next second became so clear in my mind and at the same time, I remember thinking to myself it would be so sad to see those young people, who came from many countries all the way to Indonesia to help the tsunami stricken villages and its people, dying for no particular reason. It is true an event like this looks like slow motion scene from a movie. I watched the 4 blades still rotating after the chopper rested in the ditch in crooked way, leaving its tip only few inches above the ground. The crew of downed helicopter staggered out of the cockpit while the air was still filled with grass and dust. Some of my passengers shifted their interest from their bags and started taking photos. Didn't seem to realize their lives were spared...