PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2020, 22:12
X767

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
54 Squadron in the mid '60s. Recently posted from Chivenor, was doing rather well at weapons during a concentrated phase from West Raynham.
Found I was top of the Air to Ground ladder and was tasked on to Cowden range. Excellent results and a happy F/O was flying back at low level over the sea back to base.
In those days, pirate radio was alive and well in the SE of England, so it just so happened if you tuned into Radio London you got an instant steer from your radio compass back to base and gave you the latest pop music to accompany your recovery.
The Hunter radio compass control was on the rear right bulkhead, and as I turned the lever to the correct frequency, I looked up to see the ocean at eye level.
A frantic pull, to nearly overstress the aircraft resulted, and a much chastened, overconfident young pilot returned to base with a QGH/GCA that required maximum concentration as I realised that I had nearly been killed.
There used to be a page in the RAF Flight Safety Magazine that headed " I learnt a lot about flying from that" and on that day I did !!