PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greens against Aviation
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2003, 20:07
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
The airline industry, since it is a huge employer, gets not to be taxed out of existence (or grossly overcharged by the CAA).

I'm sure that if either the "environmentalist" industry, or for that matter any part of light aviation was a huge employer on the same scale, it would get reduced VAT and duty on fuel, buildings, etc. etc. etc.

Ah, except that light aviation is a major UK employer, and has it's fuel taxed out of existence, ludicrously expensive business rates on hangars, £151/hr CAA charges to gain company approval, VAT charged on flying training, etc. etc. Bu**er, there goes that argument.

And environmentalists make very little for the country (okay, they do keep it looking and smelling nice I'll grant them that), are largely unproductive and the activity employs very few people - yet they get huge government tax breaks for virtually everything they do, protection by charity rules for their organisations, large government grants for all sorts of things. Damn, I've shot that argument down too.

Nope, it all makes no sense whatsoever.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 8th Dec 2003 at 20:19.