PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2020, 13:10
DownWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't scared at the time, but should have been...
Finished a check four on an Apache and needed to get the de-icing cylinder charged, as we didn't have hi-pressure air (2.500psi ?) So our chief pilot flew it to Norwich with me in the right seat to keep an eye on things after the check.
Sorted the air charging and taxied out to return. You have a go, he says. While I had flown P2 in a few of the singles we worked on, no PPL and no experience in a twin, other than holding the Twin Coms straight and level or gentle turns.
Nothing loth, off we go, weather was the pits, low cloud and showers, so after take off, cleaned her up and set off down the A47 at around 1000ft. Doing OK, I think, when one engine starts losing power.. He looked disinterested, so I knew that he was giving me some test. Corrected the boot of rudder with trim and full power on the remaining donk and prepared to feather the failing one, when it cheered up.Straightened it all up and carried on. I had been scanning the panel and couldn't figure what he had done. Bit later, same happened, but I had caught his right arm moving. So while I was doing the correction, I asked him politely if he would not mess with the fuel cocks..... Big grin.
With some prompts I had her on finals, when she started rolling to the left, I applied correction, but nothing. He said, 'I have control' and slammed the throttles forward and the nose down, resulting in a big bounce and actual landing much further down the runway. We were near 45° roll before he sorted it.
Figured there must have been a big gust, as he was quite surprised at what happened, as was the airfield manager, who saw it all.
Like I said, interesting experience... but what on earth was he doing, giving simulated engine failures on an underpowered twin at 1000ft with an untrained person at the controls?
This was in '72?