PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2020, 13:44
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Moments of abject terror during a flight, rather than a scary flight......

....As one of four embarked pongoes in a RAF Whirlwind, contour flying 30 feet above the canopy in forested country when the engine failed suddenly; US Marines exchange pilot heaved up the nose to do what was more or less a horizontal auto- rotate and as the speed dropped and as the nose came down he slid it into a small clearing for a soft landing.

.....As a passenger in a MEA Coronado realising that we had just touched down at Beirut far too hot even for a Coronado, and far too late, and were about to go off the end in about 10 seconds, still fast. (We did indeed, but no fire and almost no casualties.)

...In my Prentice, climbing up though cloud to get to VFR on top, over mountains in Italy on route Rome - Brindisi, when the damp air cause both mags to pretty much cut out. (A Prentice quirk, apparently, that I didn't know about.) The glide down after a 180 turn, with a stopped prop, not knowing whether I would come out of the cloud or hit the hill first, was a slightly prolonged and very scary moment, relieved by not only coming out of cloud safely, but finding a military runway in the valley, 800ft or so below the aircraft, which wasn't on my 1:500,000 map.