PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Test flying the Winjeel in 1951
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2020, 13:00
cooperplace

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
With several Winjeels on the Australian civil aircraft register I thought their owners/operators would be interested in reading about the initial spinning trials that took place in 1951

"We then commenced aerobatic and spinning trials. The only trouble encountered was with spinning. The Winjeel spin was in many respects similar to that of the Meteor 7 which I had some experience with at F With the Winjeel though, the elevator had locked in the up position (the stick back), and some 200 lbs stick force was required to obtain forward movement. Jim Wilson and I between us managed to break the elevator lock and after spinning from 16,000 feet, regained flight at about 1,400 feet. The stick force indicator failed to operate at over 200 lbs forward pressure mark. All other aerobabtic trials were satisfactory; loops, half rolls off the top, half rolls with dive recovery, slow rolls, hesitation rolls with relative high speed 140 knots at entry, etc.."
............................................................ ............................................................ .........................

I.
Most impressive economy of words: commenced spin at 16,000 feet, regained flight at 1,400; >200lbs of force required. Doubtless many expletives etc also involved. Those guys deserve a medal for coolness under pressure.

Centy, thanks again for an interesting story, please keep them coming. I hope all's well with you in these difficult times.