PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2020, 10:01
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts
A friend at the time in the 80's was thinking of buying a PA 32 and asked if I would like to accompany him for an engineering overview as it were. The aircraft was owned by two elderly gentlemen who may have had a benign AME / GP....... to put it politely . It was based on a farm strip in Lincolnshire with two others, both of which were under cover. This one wasn't, no blanks / covers and to judge from the rubbish on the wings had been outside "for some considerable time ". The corrosion / crazing was equally obvious.

Asked if I would like to go on the test flight, so in we get. Friend in RH seat, one of the owners driving and his friend sat behind him. The take-off set the tone, more a wiggle in hope rather than positive control action. Reached about 2000ft and the gentleman next to me asks his friend in front "Have you had your tablets today ? "...." no " says pilot and rummages in nav bag for said tablets....a short while later.....the engine begins to sound very unhealthy, I should add this was in February, OAT 3 / 4 degs, at best, on the ground...next question " have you got carb heat on ? "....slight pause, "click ", "I have now "......my friend carried out some basic handling, gentle stalls, and we landed soon thereafter.

Flying with those two, and then with no carb heat in those conditions, was more than a shade scary.

He declined to purchase the aircraft.