PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very VERY Bad Sim Nerves
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2003, 18:32
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Countdechickens, sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Here's the science behind the situation:

Your sympathetic nervous system is preparing your body for battle, because it has been told by the brain, that it is about to prepare for battle.

Activation of the sympathetic nervous system releases hormones from the adrenal gland which set in motion physiological responses, which usually have the following effects;

dilated pupils, increased heart rate, blood pressure increase, increase in depth and rate of respiration, increased blood flow to the muscles andskin, decrease in digestive activity.

All these effects are very useful, if fighting or fleeing a mammoth, ((as your body is designed to do), but not that useful if trapped in a simulator. In fact there are so many chemicals flowing around your system, that the response is actually working against you.- its even stopping you reading and thinking correctly.

When I was learning to fly, the so called fight or flight mechanism actually reduced my peripheral vision on landing. (Not at all useful).

The problem worsens, as there is no useful outlet for your response, the mind worries more, so more chemicals are released, and the whole thing escelates.

The good news is that you are not going mad, in fact the brain and body is doing exactly what it designed to do.

Several things may help. Although you are right to be a little sceptical about non scientific interventions, you might find that a little of what QDM suggests, may actually break the link between the brain and the adrenal glands in the first place, hence preventing the situation occurring. (It works for people who are afraid of spiders/flying/heights etc).

Another solution is to deal with the chemicals flowing through your system. I like the anger thing, it may help, as may deep breathing at the time of stress. (it really does work-breathe in for 5, hold for 5 and release for 5s.)

Beta blockers also inhibit the effects of the chemicals. (Check with your AME of course.)

Improving your general level of fitness with aerobic activity, (20mins 3 times a week), may also help, it seemed to work for me.

Visualisation, (mentally rehearsing the situation before hand), may also be useful.

Let us know how you get on, David.