PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2020, 08:48
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I had no idea of the truly hairy stories to read - so interesting and some genuine 'Laugh Out Loud' moments - such as seeing a wheel make its own taxi run, however uncomfortable for those inside the tube.

My most memorable is minor by comparison: November 1970, Air Rhodesia (as it then was) SAY (now HRE) to JNB on a Sunday morning. Vickers Viscount.
A thunderstorm that was too big to go around and too tall for the Viscount to go over. I discovered many years later the usual cruise was about FL160 and it's Ceiling about 220 but please do correct on that but I have no idea which model of Viscount it was.

We entered the storm about an hour into the scheduled two hour sector that was extended by 30 minutes due to the storm and the turbulence was significant. Many pax lost their breakfast. I was 15 and not scared that we would crash, although made very uncomfortable by the turbulence, which has turned out to be the strongest I have ever encountered. I had a window on the Port side and watched the wing flex as we were surrounded by cloud for an extended period.

On a routine JNB-LHR in 2019, we made a large crescent shaped swerve to avoid a massive storm doing its thing away to Starboard whilst in the ICTZ. I remembered the Viscount! Not least, being able to watch the avoiding line develop in real time as I lay on my flat bed! Wow, what a difference in two months short of 49 years.