PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 19:19
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by orca
I know that we all know this...but the Task Group’s task is not ASW. ASW is an enabler that allows the Task Group to go about the task in hand. The same is true of DCA.
Carrier Strike is about three bubbles. The small one in the middle is for admin/ deck ops and critical but boring stuff like that; the medium one is the Force Protection bubble of air and water space you need, slightly more exciting but not really worth shelling out for. ASW and DCA, that sort of triv. The big outer bubble is why you actually buy carriers - reserved for things like Strike, SF insertion...that sort of thing.
I’d love to hear that exercise planners etc ‘got it’!
Regarding your middle bubble - I think the middle and outer bubbles may well be the same thing. I am thinking of things such as protecting an amphibious force from the enemy, or defending resupply convoys - which is why the US Navy committed eight carrier groups to the Atlantic during the eighties - with a role of SLOC protection, as noted by this former US Navy EA-6B Prowler guy.

...the primary mission for the CV/CVN in the North Atlantic was not ASW (it was an additional role) but rather AAW to prevent the Backfire/Bears from attacking the convoys.

It was also the reason the CVS was built with Sea Kings for ASW in the GIUK gap and SHAR to deal with the Bears providing reconnaissance and over the horizon targeting for submarine launched missiles. NATO is back to minding the gap...

Originally Posted by SLXOwft
I assume WEBF you are speaking from inside knowledge as SHAPE's current public list of exercises https://shape.nato.int/nato-exercises doesn't include any Atlantic exercises and MARCOM isn't listing any yet for 2021? I assume a sort of Northern Civil Partnership, a pale shadow of Northern Wedding? The PQs would suggest the participant will be HMS QNLZ.
Try Googling Exercise Steadfast Defender 21 - or perhaps looking at this recent story from the RN website:

Exercise Steadfast Defender (STDE21) will be a significant milestone in achieving FOC, demonstrating JFC Norfolk’s competence and readiness to fulfil its roles and responsibilities.

As a SHAPE-sponsored operational and tactical level live exercise, STDE21 will train and evaluate a wide range of NATO and national force elements. Focused on the reinforcement of continental Europe from North America, NATO will exercise its ability to secure the Strategic Lines of Communication which link our continents.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum! Happy Christmas!