PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 17:05
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
March 1980 I had been working in Karachi when we at BMA British Midland were wet leasing our 707's to PIA.
After my posting in KHI, I had over a month's leave due, and PIA were kind enough to give me a pair FC FOC SBY tickets, so rather than a rainy cold month off back in London I flew an old PIA 720B down to Ceylon Colombo - 10 days on this lovely island then I flew over on then brand new new Air Lanka's 737-200 once a week flight (50% firm ticket) to Male on the undiscovered Maldives for 3 weeks on a tiny little island, ' Robinson Crusoe ' bliss...(USD $15 a day Full Board)

On the long journey home it began with flying MLE-CMB to connect with the middle of the night PIA flight to KHI, to then pick up the morning PIA 747 service to LHR with stops at DXB FCO FRA AMS and ORY phew! (all those meals)
At CMB we were coached out to the aircraft in Tropical heat at about 01.00 in the morning, expecting another PIA 720B but pulled up by an old ex Swissair DC-8 52 HB-IDB with a little sticker by the front door 'on lease to PIA'
Hmmm I thought will this might be fun...

Plane was half empty so had the front FC cabin to myself - old fashioned interior but comfy and nostalgic. CC were a mix of local girls and I think some French Girls.
This old DC-8 was now owned by Cargolux.

Uneventful flight then a long dark approach to KHI - no lights on the ground - no horizon - It was just desert around the airfield -
Touched down very fast - I felt little, or no braking, Thrust Reverse came on, then maximum full power reverse and we still did not slow down -
I thought well OK, it is flat and sandy beyond the end of the runway...Head down methinks...
We did slow but then lurched violently off to the left and did come to a stop with all 4 still screaming in reverse. Not sure if we were in the dirt or not as it was so dark
Eventually I saw a follow-me van come up and we started off again using a huge amount of power to get going -
CC said nothing and upon disembarking the FD crew chaps looked a very sickly green.
I just said Bye, thanks! - they said nothing LOL.

Last edited by rog747; 23rd Dec 2020 at 17:16.