PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 16:26
ATNotts

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts
No, I agree with the sentiment expressed in that article, but travel bans aren't there to kill the virus and it's mutations stone dead; they are there to reduce the speed of transmission across the globe and buy time for the various national health systems whilst the vaccination programmes now getting underway in various countries reduce Covid-19s capacity for killing and hospitalising so many people.

If we, as a nation, nay, as the human race, are happy to see our relatives seriously ill, possibly dead, then by all means take the view that we lift all restrictions, and accept the inevitable consequences. Most of the world's political leaders prefer try to keep a balance between the economy and public health; Trump was tipping the scales in favour of the economy and look at the result. Many other nations have chosen a rather more public health biased policy. I appreciate that this makes things very hard for those working in commercial aviation; I can assure you that my future son in law feels the same about his industry, hospitality, which he feels has been (unfairly) treated. I feel sure, if I asked him, he'd say that foreign travel should be more heavily restricted rather than hospitality.