PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How dangerous is a single runway, major airport?
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 09:46
RHPrague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My perception (which I'd love to examine with data) is that Prague really is a quite benign airport, both re capacity and weather, compared with say Stansted

- when thinking about the runway issue, it suddenly occurred to me that I could not remember the last time I was stacked coming into Prague, whereas coming into LHR it's a red-letter day if I am not. Is that a reasonable indicator of real capacity issues? (and would I be able to request data to underpin it?)
-there is not even that much snow any more (rather sadly) last significant falls were I think 2011 or 2012. I was stuck for three days that year before heading back to London for Xmas, but the problem was snow at LHR not here. Prague has all the gear. No brooms...
- winds as a I said, usually benign. Nary a bump, and i notice these things.
- It is badly located for fog, and it took years after the fall of the communists to get Cat 3 autoland (correct?) . But now that isn't an issue, and indeed the fog itself seems less common, it might have been pollution - fuelled in the past.

I'm very open to getting reality checks on my perceptions - it's why I am here - but so far I come away from this thread even more convinced that at least technically, the parallel runway is a solution searching for a problem.