PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How dangerous is a single runway, major airport?
Old 21st Dec 2020, 14:26
RHPrague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just looked up the passenger numbers for Stansted and Luton. I was staggered to find that in 2019, Stansted, with a single runway, processed 28m passengers.
Prague in the same year managed 17.6m. Luton beat that too, albeit "only" by 1m. From the list of European airports mentioned above, Geneva is already handling slightly more than Prague and there is no talk there of the need for a 2nd runway.
Obviously there are passengers and then there are flight movements, but when I see the Stansted figure, and then the Prague Airport mgmt. bleating that they will hit *capacity* of 21m by 2028, and there won't be any more slots...well I'm just a SLF specimen, but something there doesn't seem quite right. Am I not entitled to say to Prague: "should try harder with the runways you have"?.
I would admittedly prefer to be flying to and from Prague rather than Stansted or the hell-hole that is Luton, but that's about the terminals. And nobody has any problem with Prague investing further in the terminals, which is also part of the plan.