PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OS speeds - for info only.
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2020, 23:02
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 275 Likes on 175 Posts
As suspected, the CPU is really rather weak - compared with an entry-level core i3 of the same vintage (2010), it's got less than 1/4 of the processing power. Add to that the minuscule quantity of DDR2 RAM, and it's always going to struggle to run anything at all modern. It originally had Windows 7 Starter, which was a cut-down version of Windows 7 for very basic systems, but all reasonably current (and secure) application software assumes way more compute resource than this device can muster, whatever about the OS. For example, my FF session has 5 tabs open and is currently utilising a shade under 1GB RAM. That would be about 50% of your entire system - and bear in mind that your graphics processor is also using some of the system RAM, so there isn't even 2GB for the OS and any applications. With so little RAM, there's going to be a lot of paging out to disk and, even with an SSD, that's going to be slow - and take up so much of the CPUs resources in managing the I/O that there's not enough cycles left over for actual applications.

It is around 10 years old now, so time to put it out of its misery. Keep the SSD for use in another system - it's worth far more than the netbook it's in.