PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best way forward for 15 year old .
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2020, 19:21
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardJones
Stay at School.

If it's any help, this is what I did when I was 15. Been told it was the wrong way to go. Probably right, for this day and age. My CV is a catalogue of what not to do.

From a poor family. At 15, left school with nothing (can do 12 x tables, that's it). did menial work, to pay for flying lessons. So, soloed 16, first job instructing 20. 10 years ag flying and retired, from that at 31.. In the meantime got UKATPL. Finished up flying heavy 4 engine Jets, LHS.
Now looking at the above I wouldn't have the academic qualifications required to get into a Recognised flying training outfit, to begin flying training.

What I did and still have is, the drive, determination and ability to take hard knocks and pick myself up, dust myself down and try again. Also had a certain ability, which cannot be taught in the classroom. you are born with ability. If you can ride a bike, you can be taught to fly an aeroplane.

Hope that helps.
. .
ALL OF THIS ^^^

Me? I’m a one trick pony, all I know how to do and actually be qualified for is...flying.
Assume another worldwide black swan event before your son is 30 and potential loss of Class 1 medical before 45 with 20 working years to go. Plan accordingly.
Your son is in a perfect position to continue his education and do modular training side by side for the next 7-10 years.
It sounds harsh but do not send your son to an integrated school at 17, you’ll set him up for failure.