PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2020, 06:51
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Last throw of the dice here...... I'm sorry that I've not been able to source any images of the airstrip during war-time. The image of the 'Super Robin Hangar ' I obtained using Street View. There were said to be up to 20 of these hangars in the woods bordering the airstrip. Aircraft were also concealed under the trees on the edges of the airfield. The place was operated by an aircraft manufacturing company and was used as a dispersal airfield with facilities for test flying and post-production engineering.

Several sources state that Seafires were manufactured at the airfield, however I can find no evidence to support this. They were however manufactured nearby by a sub-contractor to Supermarines. The sub-contractor operated the airstrip.

The 'sub-contractor' also assembled the dreaded Airacobra again at their factory nearby. Here seen at Duxford (I think). They were not a success in RAF service. As a result a large number were stored at the air-strip before being crated up again and sent to Russia.