PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2020, 05:48
KRviator

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Who are these two people? I understood the original source has not been found.
According to NSW CHO Dr Kerry Chant:
"What we know is that this sequence from this strain that is associated with this cluster is most closely linked to a returned traveller from overseas who arrived in the country on 1st December. It is important to know that we don't know how common that is in Australia. Obviously we are testing all of the returning travellers from overseas and we are accessing international databases to get some idea. But you can imagine some countries like the US, gene sequencing isn't their priority given the number of cases they have.

"There is no-one else we have identified that could be the source. At the moment we are forensically looking at all of the journeys of that individual to see if there were any points associated with it. I think I spoke at my press conference yesterday that we have been testing in the vicinity of that person in terms of cleaners or anyone that might have cleaned a room after the person left - [we are taking] the upmost precaution to just check whether they could have been the source. Can I just say, there is an intensive investigation under way and, while I really do want to find the source, it may be that this is going to be a challenge beyond us. But we are doing everything we can.
If they arrived 01 December they would (should) have been in hotel quarantine until December 15. So how did this particular strain get out & about on the Northern Beaches on December 10/11? And why mention about "checking their room after they left" if it was already in the community before they should have left quarantine?

To me, it's either someone who is allowed to quarantine at home as part of their normal duties, or some boomer who bought their way out of quarantine and in doing so, thought the rest of the rules didn't apply to them.

Originally Posted by Ragnor
WA is not prepared and ran for the hills on the first sniff.
They showed why they're so shyte-scared of it though! They can't handle the testing rate required! Their test centers were turning people away at an overall testing-rate of only 2,000 per day "4x the normal rate" says Mark McGoose. Hell, if you can't handle 2,000 tests a day, and are only averaging 500/day normally it's no wonder you'll want to keep people out. I shudder to think what'd happen if it does get into the WA community! NSW runs around 10,000 tests/day in normal times. 20x the number of WA tests, but with only 3x the population. And McGoose want's to lecture Gladys on how things should be done? Pfft!
Premier Mark McGowan says almost 2000 people presented at clinics on Thursday, about four times the usual daily number.Source