PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coriolis vs Conservation of Angular momentum
Old 19th Dec 2020, 12:48
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Agreed AC - the idea that the rotor is a gyro just because it spins is clearly entrenched in the theorists view - I lack the science and maths depth of knowledge to counter argue beyond what I know happens in a helicopter so I'll leave them to it.

btw SFT the rotor still flaps at very low rotational speed in exactly the same way as it does at normal operating speed - very unlike a gyro. You can see this on rotor start in anything but flat calm conditions.
Very low rotational speed is only a problem if there is another force present that will dominate the gyro behavior - such as, on a toy gyro, the toppling torque that any object standing on one point has. There is no equivalent torque on a horizontally mounted helicopter rotor, so the gyro behavior is unimpeded at low RPM's. It's also not a problem for a spacecraft orbiting at 1/90 RPM in LEO, or even far slower in higher orbits.

This is actually very easy to understand with no math and a bare minimum of science. You just have to extend your reasoning past rote associations, into applying general concepts (this is the science part). If you understand a gyro only as a toy gyro or flight instrument, you'll always be at a dead end. But if you understand a gyro as matter going in a circle, now you're on the path.

And what does matter do when going in a circle and pushed crossways? This:

If it still doesn't click, mentally zoom in to the node so the curvature isn't visible any more. Now you can just pretend the object was going in a straight line, and all that happened was it got forced crossways to the line, so it deflected at the point where the force happened. The simplest possible physical interaction you can imagine! Now zoom back out, and see the new path it follows.

Last edited by Vessbot; 19th Dec 2020 at 13:07.