PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2020, 12:46
Australopithecus

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Green.Dot
I have full faith in NSW doing a good job- we are on the same page here.

Regarding mandating mask use, I’ve only got quals as a pilot so this is the best risk analogy I’ve got:

If you have windshear on the ATIS for takeoff do you?

A: Use normal takeoff figures because it doesn’t look too bad outside (people who won’t wear a mask because they don’t like the feel of them).

Or

B: Use full thrust with windshear figures and give yourself the best chance possible (Mandate mask use until they are certain it’s under control, knowing more people will wear them if they have to).

Or opt for:

C. Delaying takeoff until the hazard has passed. The corollary here is of course mandating a hard lock-down until either the threat has passed or is judged to be controlled with low risk. Dice-rolling is only entertaining as a spectator sport, not really when you have actual skin in the game and the rewards don’t outweigh the risks.

This event, while awkwardly timed, was almost always going to happen. A response any less than we had a few weeks ago would be both a slap in the face of the other states and a week-kneed, mamby-pamby undoing of the hard yards we have all slogged through until now. Cannot conjure any more cliches right now, but you get the gist...