PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 18th Dec 2020, 17:07
Stuka Child

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I agree with most of those points, Stuka

The question of this thread is "Why is automation dependancy encouraged in modern aviation?"

It is human nature to do the easiest thing - we don't follow the footpath all the way to the end if we can cut the corner by walking across the grass. When we drive our cars, how many of us willingly use a paper map or our memory of a route ? No, obviously we use SatNav. How many drivers of automatic cars use their automatic gearboxes in manual mode?

If you are on a punishing airline roster or didn't sleep too well in the hotel, (but are not actually fatigued), then it is easier to fly using the automatics, and most pilots flying busy rosters in busy airspace will probably use the automatics. As soon as you start using good, well integrated automatics - and not all of them are - it is very hard to break away back to manual flying, because you know you are rusty and will look less than expert if you attempt it on the line. But of course this becomes a vicious circle.

How do pilots keep their skills sharp ? Since most pilots will use the easiest option and won't remember to manually fly - that is human nature - I believe it will have to be mandated in some way by chief pilots. A bit like paying taxes - you wouldn't do it unless there was some sort of pressure !
I understand your point
However, I disagree with some of the assumptions you're making. I don't believe it's human nature to do the easiest thing. I think it's human nature to search for meaning and to do meaningful things.
I love driving, and I'll seldom use navigation tech (unless using the car for deliveries or something). I memorize the route beforehand and, if I get lost, I try to figure it out, or stop and ask for directions or look at the (admittedly non-paper) map again. It's a beautiful thing, to be lost and to find your way again.
When taxiing in a C152/172 (or whatever I can see the ground in) in summer, I'll try to avoid squishing the grasshoppers that swarm the taxiways. Ground doesn't mind. I know I'm still going to kill a bunch of them on the runway and who-knows-how-many insects in flight, but the ones that I have a choice to avoid I will. Even though it's far from easy.

If one flies for a living, it is reasonable to assume that this person finds some meaning in flying. Otherwise why do it in the first place? Can't be for the money. There's much less stressful ways of making much more money.

For all the people saying "why would we choose the extra workload etc" I just want to ask "but don't you enjoy flying? Are you not addicted to your aircraft and the way it moves? And the way you make it move?"
If someone has to force pilots to hand-fly, I would question what they're doing there in the first place.