PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2020, 10:40
Plastic787

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Vokes55

I know for a fact that Denver and Chicago to name two were massive loss makers, Singapore (not US obv but proves the point) was so successful it lasted a matter of months. The rest were marginally profitable in summer and a big drain in winter, similar to low fare long haul full stop. IAG took one look at the books and walked away saying “nah thanks”. That’s the reality. You can beat the drum as much as you like saying that they had bums on seats but ignore the yield totally forgetting it’s not load factor but profitability that determines success and a profitable operation. Every financial analyst bar none says that Norwegian’s problems began and ended with the 787 misadventure. I get that you wanted it to work and I admire the passion - believe me despite flying BA’s jets I have no love for this company and would love to be in a place where I could feel that again too - but financial reality has bitten hard and if the Gatwick 787s ever take the air again it will be because some other fool with too much money has decided to part with their senses and is being taken for a ride.

There is a reason O’Leary and the Orange lot haven’t touched Long Haul with a barge pole and it’s not because they’re feeling charitable towards BA..

Last edited by Plastic787; 18th Dec 2020 at 10:50.