PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2020, 00:26
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Roj approved
I am struggling to comprehend how overseas flight crew can arrive in Australia, and not be subject to the same Hotel quarantine as domestic flight crew??

My wife has been flying domestically since March, and has been required to stay locked in her room on all overnights until recently.

Yet the authorities allow Aircrew from highly infected countries, the US, to move about in our communities, did they learn nothing from the Ruby Princess?😡😡😡
That is simply not the case. International flight crew on turnarounds CANNOT move freely throughout the community. The distinction is that they have (with the general exception of WA where its the Holiday Inn only) been able to quarantine at a hotel as arranged by their airline. This is not necessarily one of the govenemrment hotels, however similar protocols are observed - no leaving the room etc room service only, which is left at the door. Similar restrictions have been applied to Australian aircrews within Australia when the borders were up in various states..

Australian flight crew returning internationally have been able to quarantine at home or a nominated hotel to date. More enlightened employers are putting their crews up in 1 bedroom apartments or similar to help with the period of quarantine. THIS IS UNDER THREAT.

I'd have hoped the industry bodies might have been a bit more vociferous to government regarding the necessity to have Australian Aircrew who have flown internationally (or been to a domestic hotspot) be able to quarantine in agreed nominated hotels, not a shoebox Holiday Inn room with returned travellers. For those who can't see it, this is nothing about privilege rather consider an Aussie pilot operates overseas, spends the entire time in the foreign port on a 10 day tour in hotel rooms then spends another 14 days in the Holiday Inn. Then a couple of days off, then rinse and repeat. That is not sustainable. An apartment with a balcony and fresh air is the only way to keep the health of aircrew going forward.

Last edited by compressor stall; 18th Dec 2020 at 00:47.